The Chateau des Roure in Ardèche at Labastide de Virac
History of the Chateau
The Chateau des Roure was a strong point on the ancient route by the Pont d’Arc. In the 11th century, a Viraco tower belonging to the Benedictine monks of Virac was mentioned.
It dates back to the end of the 14th/beginning of the 15th century. It belonged to the family of Pierre de Beauvoir de Grimoard du Roure until 1825; then to the Pradier family, whose descendants are the present owners. An important site during the wars of religion, the chateau welcomed the Duc de Rohan (the Huguenot leader) in 1628.
In 1629. Louis XIII and Richelieu ordered the destruction of the defenses of the chateau and of the ramparts of the village. After the Edict of Nantes was revoked in 1685, the Count of Roure renounced the Protestant faith and became Catholic.
During the Camisard revolt in 1703, Jean Chevalier (their leader) attacked the Chateau de Roure and burned the village church.
The Chateau de Roure has been open to the public since 1975 and was classified as a Historic Monument in 1978. From October 2013 till March 2016 important restoration was carried out to return the Chateau des Roure to its original appearance before 1629.
New rooms were opened to the public in Spring 2016.